A Nepali bill on 'hurting religious feelings' and conversion...
Jesus' birth among events Brits most wish they had seen
The birth of Jesus has been ranked among the key events in history which people in the UK most wish they had experienced first-hand.
A poll commissioned by the gambling firm Casumo named the first coming of Christ 17th in a list of 50 historic moments Brits would have liked to have witnessed.
England's victory over West Germany in the 1966 World Cup came in first place, followed by the Live Aid concert in 1985 and the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
Greg Tatton-Brown from Casumo said: "It's interesting to see that many of the most popular events we would most like to go back and witness, in the moment, with our own eyes, have already been televised and analysed in great detail.
"But there's something about the live experience, knowing that you are in the right place at the right time, witnessing history, which is very special."
The Biblical accounts of Jesus' life have inspired many movies, including the Mel Gibson film Passion of the Christ (2004) [pictured above] and Jesus of Nazareth (1977).
The Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969 and Queen Elizabeth's Royal Coronation in 1953 completed the top five list of historic events.
Other occasions which featured in the full list include the construction of Stonehenge in 3100 BC, the launch of the Titanic in 1911, the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215.
The op 50 historic moments people in the UK wish they had witnessed
- England winning the World Cup in 1966
- Live Aid (1985)
- The fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)
- The launch of Apollo 11 (1969)
- Queen Elizabeth II's Royal Coronation (1953)
- The London Olympic Games Opening Ceremony (2012)
- The Beatles playing on the rooftop of Apple Offices (1969)
- Usain Bolt's 100m win (2012)
- The construction of Stonehenge (3100 BC)
- Andrew Murray's Wimbledon victory (2013)
- Torvill and Dean's Olympic ice skating performance (1984)
- The Christmas Day truce between the German and Allied troops (1914)
- Woodstock (1969)
- The launch of the Titanic (1911)
- The completion of the Pyramids of Giza (2490 BC)
- Mo Farah's 5,000m and 10,000m double victory (2012)
- The birth of Jesus Christ
- A Gladiator fight in the Coliseum
- Elvis Presley, Hawaii concert (1973)
- V-E Day (1945)
- Michael Jackson, Wembley Stadium concert (1988)
- An original Shakespeare play performed at The Globe
- Winston Churchill's 'We shall fight them on the beaches speech (1940)
- The Wright Brothers' first flight at Kitty Hawk (1903)
- Johnny Cash, San Quentin Prison concert (1969)
- David Bowie performing at the Rainbow Theatre (1972)
- Man's discovery of fire, early Stone Age
- The eruption of Mount Vesuvius (79 AD)
- Andrew Murray wins first Grand Slam against Novak Djokovic (2012)
- Roger Bannister breaking the four-minute mile (1954)
- England winning the rugby world cup (2003)
- Ian Botham's Ashes victory (1981)
- Jessica Ennis wins Olympic Heptathlon (2012)
- Bjorn Borg v John McEnroe Wimbledon final (1980)
- The Rolling Stones, Hyde Park concert (1969)
- The signing of The Magna Carta (1215)
- Rumble in the Jungle boxing match - Ali vs Foreman (1974)
- Red Rum's Third Grand National victory (1977)
- England defeat Germany 5-1 (2001)
- The Great Fire of London (1666)
- The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales (1997)
- Armistice Day (1918)
- Jesse Owens winning four Olympic golds (1936)
- Hearing Beethoven's 9th symphony performed in Vienna (1924)
- Steve Redgrave winning his fifth gold medal (2000)
- England winning the Ashes (2005)
- Bob Marley, Lyceum Theatre concert (1975)
- Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards competing in Winter Olympics ski jump (1988)
- Led Zeppelin, Royal Albert Hall concert (1970)
- The signing of the Declaration of Independence (1776)
Stay up to date with the latest news stories from a Christian perspective. Sign up to our daily newsletter and receive more stories like this straight to your inbox every morning.
Stay informed and inform others with up to the minute news from a Christian perspective.
Daily News email