(EXCITING NEWS: Have you heard our radio programme on PREMIER RADIO yet? You can hear past episodes here.)
Just a bit of serious fun, but have a look at this list. Do you know anyone guilty of some or all of these? This is not a condemnation, just an observation. This is a taster for the next section, where we will discuss these issues further.
- Fall out with each other over minor matters of doctrine – Christian unity is a precious thing and not to be sacrificed on the altar of cleverness.
- Argue endlessly with atheists – The Christian faith is about relationship with Jesus, not an arena for intellectual debate, as only the Holy Spirit is going to convict souls.
- Are able to justify just about anything from the Bible – Allegory and the ‘spiritualising’ of Bible text are rife these days with ‘teachers’ twisting Scripture to support their ideas or questionable behaviour.
- Consider that Church is what you do on Sunday mornings – The church is not the building, but the people who meet inside it, who also exist the rest of the week outside the building!
- Believe that the Jewish people are rejected by God – The roots of this idea are firmly within ideas from Greek philosophy.
- Listen to a sermon uncritically – We are urged to be like the Bereans, who measured the words of Paul against Holy Scripture and were not afraid to challenge the preacher.
- Have a high view of Church traditions – There is no higher authority for a Christian than the written words of God, Holy Scripture. Church traditions should never have a higher place.
- Refuse to visit churches of a different denomination – We are the Body of Christ. The fact that we meet in different places and follow different means of expressing our faith should not stop us from meeting each other.
- Believe that drums are the tools of the devil – Joy in worship is a wonderful thing. Just because some instruments have been put to profane use should not stop us from using them to worship God.
- Eat quiche – Can’t stand the stuff. There must be some sort of Greek angle I can use to vilify this horrible concoction!
What is a “Greek” Christian?