Priestland s Progress
Gerald and others criticise the Church. Fellow pilgrims agree and disagree. Some have great hopes, others despair. But what is the Church for? Where is it going, and will anyone go with it? Does anyone know or care? Can politics and religion share the same bed? And is there any hope for Church unity?
- If someone says “Church” to you, what comes into your mind? Describe it and explore it.
- Body of Christ or crashing bore? What do you think the Church might be? What does God expect from it, and from us?
- Would the world be any different without the Church?
- If you were Pope, Archbishop, or Moderator what would you do to the Church, and how, and why?
- Compost heap, club for non‑members, or lifeboat – which picture appeals to you?
“Human society would be a great deal worse were it not for the Church.”